Do you ever feel like your mind is constantly buzzing and you it just wont quieten down? Maybe you’re trying to go to sleep and you just have so much going on at the moment and you can’t switch off? You could just be really stressed out and need to relax. Well you’re not alone especially with all the technology and the accumulating stuff we have to do everyday. So i thought i would share 7 tips that will help your mind from trailing off or being overwhelmed by everything and try and help guide you to become more relaxed, focused and calm.
1. Read A Book. You might have a thousand things on your mind that you are constantly thinking about and before bed that can be the worst time because that’s when you seem to notice more of your thoughts because you’re just lying there and thinking trying to sleep. So i recommend finding a good fiction book, something that you would enjoy and you can just escape reality for just a little bit, you are no longer aware of all the buzzing thoughts you have, you will start to feel more calm and it will put you in a more relaxed state of mind which will make it a lot easier for you to drift away to sleep afterwards.
2. Write In A Journal. What i do at the end of everyday is write down my thoughts and what happened during the day. There is just something about writing down what happened in the day and how you were feeling, just to put it out there for you to get a more clearer perspective on it and because you become so aware of how things made you feel (when you were sad and happy) and it is really a good self reflection tool to see what is going on in your life, especially when you read something you wrote a few months ago and just realise what state of mind you were in.
3. Exercise. I am a big preacher of exercise and there is a reason for it. This is just another benefit of exercise which is being able to clear your mind, whether it be going to the gym,taking a jog or just going for a good walk exercise will clear your head. When you’re stressed next time go and use that anger and channel it into your workout just to let it all out, if you’re mind is buzzing and you want to calm down go for a nice walk somewhere where there is nature and really embrace everything around you.
4. Music. Music is amazing, you can connect so many emotions to the lyrics and beats of music. I don’t know why but whenever i study or even write a blog post like this i put on music and it really just helps me concentrate. Maybe its because i just can’t be in silence and the music just drains out all other thoughts i have so i can concentrate better but it is crazy how much music can change our mindset.
5. Have a totem. This one i have only started using ever since i heard of it. And that is just to get a totem or something that you can keep in your pocket or somewhere handy so when you just need to calm your mind you can just grab it and feel it and just know it’s there. I have this little Buddha that i have in front of my desk that i just pick up and feel and it’s like my weight to keep me grounded and he is just a symbol to me of peace and calmness.
6. Gratefulness. Take a second to look around you and embrace what is going on. What are you most grateful for, your family? maybe somebody did something nice for you today and you’re grateful for it. Just take 30 seconds to look around and think oh how grateful i am for…. It really makes you slow down and just enjoy what is happening in the here and now.
7. Breathe. The last but still incredibly helpful. You don’t have to get on a mat and cross your legs and breathe for an hour and become a monk. You can do this with your eyes closed or open but i recommend closed, and just concentrate on your breath. Think about breathing into your nose and fill up your stomach(not your chest) hold it for a second and release it back out. Just concentrating on your breathe will bring you back to the hear and now and will really relax you. Do this for a few breaths at first and then if you like it you can start concentrating longer just to clear your mind.
So there you have it, the 7 steps i use to calm my mind down when i feel like i am in overdrive. I use every one of these tactics everyday but i don’t recommend you to do them all straight away. Just choose one that you would like to try and see if it works for you and just go from there, i promise that you will begin to see great results to a change in your mindset for the better.
Before you go, leave a comment below if you use any of these tips to help you calm your mind down, or maybe you use your own that you could share. I would love to hear from you